PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collecting and researching WW2 pilots flying logbooks
Old 28th Sep 2018, 07:59
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have spent some time helping friends decode the abbreviations in their fathers' wartime record of service (some of the abbreviations are pretty obscure) and then filling in the gaps with photos of aircraft types an explaining what some of the information implies. One I helped with included a time on 192 Sqn Washington's post war, during which tour he was awarded an AFC to his wartime DFC . Friend's dad was only pilot other than the OC for that period mentioned in "Listening In" so a bit of cross referencing, dates etc and concluded he had been involved in Suez ELINT. Another friend showed me his Grandfather's log book, stamped "Killed in Action". He was Wg Cdr Hugh Malcolm's observer when he was shot down and killed on the operation that earned Malcolm his posthumous VC. I was able to send him a link to a video of the Blenheim being air tested at Duxford, filmed from the observer's seat. he was delighted.