PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of training aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2018, 01:08
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
My 2c

For all I am going to say below - I actually wouldn't worry that much about aircraft type - look more at the quality of the instructors and school. That is more important than the equipment used.

That said, if you get the opportunity I would say it is worth doing your initial training on a TW, generally, TW aircraft are more fun to fly and should teach you good stick and rudder skills right from the start.

Finding somewhere to do that might be hard though.

Typically taildraggers have a more effective rudder (to assist in control when taxiing, taking-off and landing) and often they do not have all the adverse yaw engineered out of them, so in flight you are provided with more opportunities to build skill in detecting (and correcting for being out of balance) in a tailwheel aircraft. It helps build good skill and precision in ab-initio training right from the get go.

Tailwheels also require more precision in judging attitude in landing and more feel and assertiveness when controlling the aircraft through takeoff and landing because they are directionally unstable and require the pilot to be able to maintain directional control. Most (not all) TW trained pilots tend to be precise and accurate in landing simply because you can't get away with being sloppy. That said - good instruction on a nosewheel will make up for that but it is easier to get away with sloppy landing technique in a nose wheel.

It encourages good feel and precision and so is a great environment to learn (and teach) in.

I don't know about the UK but there are places in Australia that will train ab-initio pilots on tailwheel aircraft (in fact will encourage you to do so). The average number of hours to get to solo standard is a few hours longer but by the time the pilot is ready for qualification, they will have the same number and mix of hours in their log books as students who learn on nose wheel aircraft.