PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check List Design in GA aircraft - often superfluous
Old 28th Sep 2018, 00:52
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps a little bit of thread drift, however it has been mentioned above, so here goes!

The lack of airmanship training these days is amazing when compared to that of 30 or 40 plus years ago.
The airmanship net was very large and when I learnt to fly. It covered such things as placing the chocks, dressing the prop, crossing the seat belts and cleaning out any rubbish (including ashtrays back then) from the aircraft for the next flyer. Of course it goes much further than that to such things as keeping a good look out and other tasks that some consider essential. Do you really need a check list for that? I suggest in many cases it is both common sense (which is not that common) and good instructing that is lacking? I know CFI's these days that would not make a lower grade instructor in years gone by. This standard drift (down) is easy for us older folk to observer but it is difficult to impossible to pass this message on, even to younger instructors and even to some FOIs that think they know it all....

On a similar subject also mentioned above, the time to go solo is often used as a benchmark for both individuals and flying schools, both of which are obviously a factor. I recall at the school that I learnt at, all students had a senior instructor check at 10 hours so as to assess progress but mainly to product check the instructor. I might add that most students at that time went sold within 10 +/- 2 or 3 hrs. In fact back then it was not uncommon for some full time students to go solo at 4.5 hrs (RAAF AIRTC cadets).
I recall doing my restricted PPL at around 33 hours which I recall was about average at that time. I just wonder what has changed when we see some students not progressing in much the same timeline. Is the air different? No, I suspect it is the culture that now exists in the flying schools and within the instructor fraternity.

As for check lists.... TMPFISCH and BUMFH has served me well in the smaller GA aircraft that I have flown. More complex types often had a roller blind or other type on the glare shield which I felt was quite appropriate.