PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2003, 11:47
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
karrank

I meant the Dunk RPT not the Mission Beach meatbombers!!! I stay well out to sea away from them, been flying that route for nearly 10 years and have never figured out exactly what those guys do, where they radio their intentions or what happens if they say 'dropping in one minute' and i say 'XYZ overhead Clump Point 8500'

And I'm gonna hafta take BIK on a bit now.

What does the term “transponder coverage” mean?
I don't suppose there are too many a/c with elec systems and no Txps. But there are a few. Probably a few more without Mode C.

So, if you are going to 'mandate them' who will pay???

Even with no Mode C a cheap Txp is $2K. Then, once it is in it has to be tested every x years. With a mode C add $500 and more tests (and after these tests it really is broke and has to be fixed). So add a few hours every 100. (and thanks to karrank and his mates making us all get them 'tuned' last month, another $400).

And who/what is this for. It is like me carrying a spare tyre for a Taxi in my car, and having to pay for the priveledge. identified public benefit, sure, but my problem (and thus financial responsibility) no way.

Don't forget BIK. 'Free in G'

NOW BIG PERSONAL OPINION WARNING - NOT AOPA POLICY

I liked FSOs too. I'd like to think that with full ADSB we could perhaps get some back. I wouldn't be happy if I were made to plan again though, you just dont need that in a computer age.

With ADSB, pop-ups should be relatively simple. Po-up, get a code and away you go. Get a TCAS for a letdown and the FSO could suggest separation.

But, who pays. Unions will do what unions do and try to get the biggest buck for their members, that made FSOs unaffordable under a (stupid) user pays government policy. So FSOs dissapeared

I would like to see B050 come back. That way you shouldn't need a Txp below that. Gives the AUF people a cheap place to fly.

Wanna fly above that??? Hopefully Govt funded ADSB will fix that. I can fly my Grumman at 8500 and my T-Craft at 3500

I am also heedful of C to a via 'X' arguments. I wouldn't like to see it as C though, too restrictive unless you took away priority. So at the moment I like the NAS suggestion, but am willing to listen.

AK

AK

Last edited by snarek; 13th Oct 2003 at 12:24.