PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importance of training aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 21:39
Nurse2Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by TryingToAvoidCBs
In the 21st century it makes sense to use something a little more modern, even the modern driving test requires you to use sat nav on the test.
The best people to ask are the airlines, they're the once who could probably give you statistics on how many people pass sim assessments and type ratings with the least problems and compare them to what type of training they had.
I'm guessing they don't use sat navs until later in the training? Like right near the end?

I'm also guessing the airlines don't have such data? What would make you think they would have this? If they did and there were significant findings, won't the feeder schools end up with a somewhat identical fleet of training aircraft?

Personally, I have always argued that I prefer to learn on something a bit old and dated. Learn the hard way, then allow yourself to ease onto something easier once you know what you're doing. That way you learn proper hand flying skills whilst building a good scan. If you were teaching your child how to multiply, would you teach them their times tables, or give them calculator straight away?
Exactly! It's like learning to drive in a manual transmission vehicle and then finding it easy to drive an automatic. I prefer to learn this way rather than learn on an automatic and then be totally lost once I get into a manual transmission vehicle. However, would the PA-38 not be classified as old and dated alongside the PA-28/C152/C172? So again, I return to my original question.... all things being equal, would there be any difference in the skillset of a student pilot based on what aircraft was used for the training?

Originally Posted by Bridgestone17
Why not take it to the extreme and do a PPL on a tail wheeled aircraft as that will teach you excellent coordination! Then you can progress to a steam driven spam can for your CPL training such as a PA 28 and PA28R and then move on to an EFIS equipped multi such as a DA42. All options are covered then but seriously the most important aspect is the quality of instruction.
Another vote for tail-draggers? What is it about taildraggers that makes them "special"? Aren't they similar to tricycle-gear setups once you're in the air? I do like the the step up from steam to EFIS though!