PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 15:20
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Franek, I'm very much obliged for your continued attempt to satisfy my incessant questioning. I seem to remember that the original site near Paris had a landline teleprinter link to the UK, which greatly aided its security (as well as being encrypted of course). Presumably though no such facility was available in Southern France, so the link must have been by radio. Here we have yet another conundrum, that the Wehrmacht's weakness was having to use HF W/T and thus be liable to interception by the enemy. If we could do that then the Abwehr could too (and indeed its many rivals), and they did have some success with breaking certain British codes I think.

So my next poser is, what were they encrypting the messages in back to Britain? The same question of course would apply to the other sources in Poland, USSR, etc. At least at Cadix they were not under direct Nazi occupation, but it was under the Vichy regime, which was not renowned for its pro Allied stance. Did the Abwehr know that Enigma was being intercepted and broken in France? Did Canaris choose to cover that up, given his ambivalent attitude to the German war effort in general and the Nazi crimes in the East in particular. It is suspected that it was he who subverted Hitler's attempts to get Franco's agreement for the Wehrmacht to transit through Spain and thus take Gibraltar, and hence ensure control of the Mediterranean. Were the Spanish cryptologists at Cadix engaged in subverting that as well?

So many questions, so little time....