PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 10:00
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better

I can’t remember a time that I personally have been asked to remove my phone from my coat pocket. I am also a seasoned traveller.

”Any iPads or laptops in your bag?” is all I’ve ever been asked. The answer to that is usually, “They are already in that tray”. Never a mention of a phone having to be put separately. Infact, the contrary. Once at another UK airport I was told I could keep phone in coat as long as it went through the scanner!

SecondDog, perhaps you could draw a line under this by referencing the actual guidance that says phones must be removed from pockets? I can’t find it, admittedley with a very brief search on Google.
Ah Jaysus, god forbid Google can't provide the answer.

A seasoned traveller, as mentioned to TB above, can often see things from the hassle-my-journey point of view.

There are many reasons for the variations people experience in searches at different airports. For example, when you were told you could leave the phone in your pocket. Did you note the make and model number of the scanner so that we could discern whether it has a more able detection/investigation system when compared to the one where A.N. Other is asked to put his/her electronics seperate in a tray? Rest assured the potential for skullduggery in a mobile is as relevant as in a tablet or laptop. Why would you choose to leave a device in your coat pocket that may be obscured when they are clearly looking at electrical devices as a risk factor? It baffles me that these sorts of questions are coming from 'seasoned' travellers. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt.

If it wasn't for the fact that rants from people like that give as much hassle as the dopey people referenced above who don't prepare through ignorance, I might be a bit more soft soapy but you guys are as annoying as the irregular traveller who is flummoxed by the whole thing.