PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 08:04
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Akro,

You are consistently misrepresenting and misquoting these reports. You're definitely pushing an agenda, but we're onto you.

Report WPR09LA451. B200 Kingair.
In your first post this morning, you stated that the pilot "did maintain directional control, despite full NL rudder trim". This is a misrepresentation. If you use Google Earth to look at the runway in question, and the two buildings this aircraft collided with, you will see that the veer to the left after takeoff appears almost identical to that by ZCR. That is not what most people would consider "maintaining directional control". My Google Earth is playing up, but if you want me to take some precise measurements for comparison with ZCR, I will find a way to do so.

The rudder trim was full left AND elevator trim 9 degree nose up (should have been 2-3) AND the RH propeller " one half inch forward of the feather position" AND both power levers were one inch aft of the full power setting. AND the left condition lever was in the low idle position while the right condition lever was in the high idle position.
The condition levers had no bearing on the outcome. The RH prop lever, however, may have had some bearing, but it must be noted that this was how the lever was found in the wreckage - no analysis appears to have been conducted as to whether it was in this position during the takeoff.

The report notes: "The Hawker Beechcraft investigator stated that the position of the right propeller lever “…would cause the right engine to reach a higher torque because the propeller is now on the primary governor. The result would be a yaw in a left direction.” "
This is not true. At best, the power output of the RH engine would have matched the LH, or it may have been less. It all depends on when the lever was put in that position, relative to when the takeoff torque was set.

If BEFORE the torque was set, then the pilot most likely advanced both power levers to the target takeoff torque (2,230 ft-lbs), as normal, but if the RH prop lever was in the reported position, then the RH RPM would not have come up to 2,000 RPM. It would have got to only about 1,800 (my estimate). In this case, the RH engine is actually producing LESS power than the LH.

If the lever was positioned AFTER the torque was set, then yes, the torque of the RH prop is increased - but the RPM is reduced, with the result that the power output is about the same. So, in neither case would the reported position of the RH prop lever have caused an increase in the NL yaw moment.

The pilot added that he had both hands on the yoke until the airplane crashed. " which infers that it was not the rudder correction that was his main struggle.
I imagine the tendency to roll L would be very strong in these instances, and with the low airspeed, may well have required full R aileron.

By comparison with the US B200 which crashed 4420 ft from lift off 10 deg of runway, ZCR crashed about 1500 ft from lift off and about 40 deg from runway heading. There is no indication in the report that the US B200 climbed above 100 ft...
As I stated above, the veered path appears almost identical to ZCR. The buildings in the US case were much closer, and appear to be lower. Until I make some measurements, it appears to me that the only difference between these two accidents was that the US aircraft was about 50-60 feet lower than ZCR at the same point.

I think the US incident suggests that directional control can be maintained despite full left rudder trim.
Disagree - and all the evidence disagrees with this assertion.