PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any battery experts here?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2018, 00:59
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. Some good lessons here.

We took the battery out and put it on an automatic charger. The initial charge was 2 amps. The following morning I went to the hangar to check up. The charger indicated 0 amps, 12.8 V and FULL. We put it back in the aircraft and started up. Normal start and normal-looking charge rates. Perhaps we got lucky. An experienced colleague suggested that the life of the battery might be significantly reduced. We’re going to keep a close eye on the battery performance.

An unexpected bonus to this episode was that my colleague was going to an impromptu fly-in lunch, that had been arranged at short notice to celebrate the current VMC after two weeks of miserable weather. So I tagged along in the back seat of a Scout. We met up with the occupants of an RV-8 and an RV-7A at a nearby airport, and walked across a golf course for lunch in the club house.

A lovely flight in beautifully smooth conditions and no navigational challenges - even TCT could have done it. Only 25 minutes by Scout and one of the RVs was less than 15 minutes from our destination. Definitely a $100 hamburger flight!