PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2018, 21:04
Ian Burgess-Barber

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Logs by Folks we never knew

Hello SimonK

Welcome to the Bearpit! You said in your other opening thread :

"The challenge is making someone else’s logbook, recorded full of amazing events, into an interesting and truthful read without elaboration"

Well, I agree with you, I tried it myself in these parts last year. It may (or may not be) of interest to you to see my attempt to record a complete stranger's log in this most challenging of threads (posts 11196 -11219, 28 Aug 2017- 5 Sept 2017) J E Lydall Log Book No. 2.

This, after trying to relate some time earlier in this most addictive of threads, what my late Dads' log had told me combined with other well-endorsed written records.
Now I, of course, wasn't present when this WW2 Thingy was going on, so I can only quote the the written records and what my old ex-WReN mother told me. (For those who might remember my previous interventions here, my mum passed away this April, on ANZAK Day.

So, now all 'my' WW2 Vets. Mum (RN) Dad (RAF) Stepdad (RNVR) Uncle (RN) and Godfather (RAF) are gone - I do (and will) remember them all.

Memories are so valuable, but not, sadly, infallible, cries of "revisionism" are heard when first hand stories versus recorded events are disputed, and I guess they always will be.
I will always trust my gut about what to believe, or not, for the rest of my days - it saddens me to think of the rubbish that others promulgated to influence my life when I was young and naive.
So bring it on - your logbooks will never have a more fascinated audience than those hereabouts.
Good Luck
IanBB