PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2018, 16:38
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by True Blue
I passed through Bfs on Monday about 2.00pm. Security not that busy and I was using priority lane. 4/5 pax in front of me.

One pax had about 20 bottles of liquid not in bags. To be fair, the security agent was re-packing all this into a number of plastic bags. That I didn't agree with. We have had these rules now for 10+ years, I think people who do this should be sent back to pack liquids properly. End result was that I had to wait maybe 15 minutes whilst all this confusion was going on. But I had paid for a fast service. To make matters worse, the guy who was causing the problem was complaining it was taking too long and he could miss his flight.

I make over 50 flights a year and my goal is to try and make sure the security alarm does not go off. So I take everything off that could cause a problem. So when I passed through the arch, I had only my wedding ring on that was metal. But it went off. So I had to take shoes off and go through the scanner. Last time I did this, nothing showed. This time, something in my left trouser pocket as I checked the screen. After the full body search I had to bring out what was in my pocket, 2 £20 notes. He took them off me and opened them up to check inside. I made a comment that there was something wrong with security when it had got to the point on checking inside bank notes. Apparently they make all sorts of major discoveries inside bank notes, I was told.

Then my liquids came through, had to be tested for traces of explosive.

Then my jacket came through, my phone was in the inside pocket. I was asked what was in the pocket, they had to see the phone. Then it was a question that there was something else, that was my credit card wallet, they had to see it.

By this stage I could really have lost my temper.

I did observe that the alarm was sounding for a very large number of people, I have seen that before. I don't know what was going on on Monday, everyone seemed to be getting a hard time at security, but it was not a good experience.

I returned through Lgw last night, I took the same steps and walked right through security, no questions asked. Both airports should have the same levels, why do they not?
If you travel 50 times a year, should you not know that the metal detector beeping can happen to anyone regardless of the presence of metal and if the body scanner shows a specific area for search then they have to check it out until satisfied that it is not an attempt to transport a prohibited or suspicious item (i am sure you can imagine there are various substances that could be found inside a 20 that might be of interest)

As a seasoned traveller you should probably also have known to take the mobile out of your jacket pocket and put it in a tray with any other electrics.

Liquids are subject to random search for the reasons you say you know about and are happy with so I fail to see why you could 'have lost your temper' when it seems like the Security at BFS carried out a search by the numbers and the only thing you can legitimately be annoyed about is the other passenger who was not ready for search. Yet somehow the blame is transferred?

As to why LGW didn't check your phone (if it was in your pocket again) is one for them to answer. It doesn't mean BFS got it wrong just because it gave you less hassle.