PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains responsibility
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2018, 08:49
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Of course she didn’t ”deserve it,” but TBH as a parent I am really genuinely puzzled that anyone would go into an airport sandwich shop and buy an off the shelf product, regardless of labelling, when this applies to themselves or one of their family..(from the DM) :

“Her father detailed for the hearing how he and his wife had trained Natasha from a young age to study ingredients and allergens and how they had changed their lifestyle to protect her from allergic reactions.
Natasha was severely allergic to dairy, banana, sesame seeds and nuts, the court heard.”

I wonder if anyone here with family experience of this sort of level of allergy to food products is able to comment on how they manage dietary requirements when travelling by air?
Not a family member, but I know of a relative of a friend of the family with this sort of life threatening nut allergy. My understanding of their dietary management is that this person eats nothing that isn't self-prepared in their own kitchen with their own equipment. Ever. I don't think they get out much, do they travel by air? - unlikely I think, at all.

That approach is fairly life-limiting - but on the other hand that person is, as far as I know, still alive.

At some point you have to choose between merely staying alive and actually living. The balance of risk is very different when you have a serious medical condition. A "normal" person may pick a balance somewhere between "not getting on any type of aircraft that doesn't have 10yrs of in service safety stats" and "if you haven't flown a wingsuit you haven't lived". For other people, just getting on a plane to go on a "normal" holiday is the risk equivalent of jumping out of the plane wearing a wingsuit.

There are a bunch of dead wingsuiters, mostly young, what a waste - maybe we should ban wingsuiting... or maybe we should accept that they died because they lived.