PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARs and Standards
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2018, 19:32
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying
I visited the Calgary TC office some years ago. The lady looked up the relevant CARS on an external website that TC had a paid subscription to. It seems that subscription was later canceled.
That was called CARS Deluxe and it was an excellent reference tool that I relied on heavily during my stint with TC. FWIW, it wasn't a website, it was a CD-based library that was sent out every 56 days. At TC, the IT folks set it up as an auto update on login - when they remembered to set it up. The man behind CARS Deluxe was a retired inspector who'd become fed up with not having a simple way to navigate through the complexity of the Act, Regulations, Standards and associated guidance materials. Subscriptions were available to industry and the public, but it was quite expensive. Don't quote me but I seem to recall it being over $1,000 per year.

Unfortunately, someone decided inspectors didn't need it because "everything was easily available on line", which was - and still is - poppycock. It might be available, but it sure as heck ain't easy. Also unfortunately, the upkeep on such a powerful tool was an expensive endeavour with a fairly small marketplace. When TC cancelled their subscription, that was the end.