PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerair chief Merren McArthur warns on aviation industry’s lack of diversity
Old 24th Sep 2018, 23:29
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FL11967
LOL, ironically the majority of responses here justify McArthur's observations.
As an airline pilot married to a surgeon I have to agree.

Many responses here are typical of the attitudes which have really p*ssed her off over the years of fighting her way through the male domination of her profession (particularly the specialty she chose) to be a successful and in-demand surgeon, and seeing aspiring competent women crushed under the weight of blokes who just seem to enjoy being d*cks. The beautiful irony is that those same blokes simply can’t understand why more of the girls aren’t applying and aspiring to be like them.

It’s been 20 years from the time she first decided to break into her desired profession to where she sits now and it has been a fascinating - gob smacking on occasions - insight for me into the psychological workings, petty jealousies, double standards, and personal insecurities of these male dominated professions which I’ve been a part of my whole career. It has made me pick up on a lot of things I might otherwise have missed in my own interactions. But of course as we see repeatedly, those who are not one of these women, or not closely related to one, wouldn’t actually know.