PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 16:11
Car RAMROD

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jobsright
I have never flown a Kingair but was working tonight with someone who has a lot of experience on the type in this report. He stated that there is a possible fcu drive shaft fault that results in a runaway engine and believes this is what happened. Looking at the amount of damage on the wreckage, how could this not be discounted from what happened? I have read the report and the engine examinations seem to be a bit glossed over. (My opinion only). Hope this is not an ATSB high profile prang that blames the deceased pilot for expedience.
Very simply, yes it can happen.
FCU technicalities were never my strong point but basically there's a cavity in which flyweights are driven. If the seals leak and fuel gets into this cavity, the lubrication is removed. Eventually the coupling driving the flyweights will break, the FCU thinks this is an underspeed (when it's not, the engine hasn't actually slowed down) and it will schedule fuel in. Only thing to do is shut it down.

Tell-tale sign is if you've got a bit of fuel dropping from the nacelle. If there's any blue colouring to it, don't fly. Blue grease is used to lubricate the drive coupling. When fuel gets into the cavity and mixes with the grease, it'll vent out and drip onto the ground at some point.

A factor or not here? I don't know. Incredibly rare failure I believe.