PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 10:59
PPRuNeUser0131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King Air Down at Essendon

It may help to understand this crash by describing a crash of a Bonanza I witnessed at Archerfield some time ago.
A fully loaded Bonanza took off on 28.
At the time, I was working from building just to the south of the terminal building.
What drew our attention, was the Bonanza being airborne well before you’d expect to see it off the ground. The climb levelled out, then started again, then levelled out then went into a vertical climb ending in a stall turn and descent into the ground.
(it landed in the creek actually just near the 10 threshold).
Alarming to watch I can tell you.
It did this out of control manoeuvring because it was trimmed full nose up on the elevators.
It had returned to AF just prior to loading and the attempted departure of the crashed flight.
The aircraft was trimmed nose up from the previous landing when it attempted the takeoff.
So, during the Bonanza’s departure, the controls were just doing what the aerodynamics wanted them to do and simply overpowered the pilot.
Slow speed, the pilot could handle it but as the speed increased the trim position forced the elevators to full nose up and the pilot simply could not stop it doing so.
Now think of this B200.
It accelerates and starts veering left as the aerodynamics are forcing the rudder to yaw hard nose left.
I can only speculate of the pilot’s reaction but it must have been startling to him and he never gets his head around the problem and the solution.
The yaw continues, it gets airborne, secondary effect of yaw comes into play, and …
If the Bonanza pilot had recognised why the pilot was pushing so hard on the elevators, it should have followed that trim follows the control pressure.
Ditto with the B200 pilot.
And the other solution was in both cases, get off the power.