PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catering Tales
Thread: Catering Tales
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 09:54
5aday

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
During the squabble between Mintoff and Carrington in the early 70's about the Nimrods using Luqa airfield. my crew were the first to fly out of Malta and land at Sigonella. Several days ensued whilst a commcen was established at Sigonella (initially using the aeroplane and then in a big green tent) and we were billeted in the Central Palace in Catania. Natural curiosity led to familiarity with the P3 crews based in Sig and quite a few of the Americans were keen to find out what the inside of the Nimrod was really capable of. This preamble has a catering angle - our brass had made arrangements for lunch boxes from Alitalia in Catania Fontanarossa and these were duly delivered to Sig. Witnness - one thin turkey crustless dried out sandwich, and angel cake (similarly dessicated) a strange italian biscuit and a small bottle of cheapo vino.

For a nine hour sortie ? Really.

Luckily the knockers and our newly found american friends who were coming on the first Nimrod flight with Sig as a base had a pre flight breakfast meal in the Flight Diner followed by a post flight Steak and anything else you wanted. The cost : Free for enlisted men and after further enquiries one dollar each for Officers. We had a really good crew so I told the officers on our crew (only)about this facility. Unfortunately the facility was slightly spoiled when the word got out and people came to work in the morning at Sig bringing their overalls and pretending they were going to the Pre Flight Diner and operating that day, even though they were not flying that week.
The Italian Lunch boxes did continue for a week or so until the bills arrived, I think they were the equivalent of £18 per box and if you wanted tea or instant coffee it was extra.

Last edited by 5aday; 24th Sep 2018 at 11:21.