PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus Crosswind... "White Knuckled Landing"
Old 24th Sep 2018, 08:40
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fox niner
Without going into the B vs. A discussion, could someone with airbus experience clarify something for me? ...Since I have exactly 0 minutes flight hours on an airbus.
We were lining up behind a departing A340 in a strong crosswind. There was NO aileron input at all into the wind during their takeoff roll. The plane was clearly begging for it, as the upwind wing was higher than the downwind wing. When it lifted off the runway, only THEN was aileron input introduced. My colleague said that this was normal in an airbus because of design/control law etc.
To me it seems consistent with this landing of this airbus in Birmingham, above. No cross control in the way I have been doing the past 3 decades on boeings.
From the base training document I received:

Half forward stick is used at the commencement of the take-off run. For crosswind take-off, routine
use of into-wind aileron is not recommended.
In strong crosswind conditions, small amounts of lateral control may be used to maintain wings level, but the pilot should avoid using excessive amounts. This causes excessive spoiler deployment, which increases the aircraft tendency to turn into wind. A two stage power application to TOGA or FLEX is made and the aircraft is kept straight by use of the rudder.
Basically as already mentioned