PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging PIC vs SIC.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 19:55
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good additions to the summary PD!

These are things that only come to be understood in increments, following much discussion, numerous re-readings of the regs, or sometimes having to go back and correct or modify previous log entries to align them with accepted practices. The differences in interpretation of definitions applicable to regulations, the differences between national regulators definitions and interpretations and the complex nature of keeping all of this straight conspire to create more than just a little confusion and contentiousness among the troops. Sometimes it can look allot like a cat chasing it's tail.

If I had it do all over again, I'd enter every flight in a very detailed computer spreadsheet in a format that could be expected to be importable to future logbook apps. All the work I put into creating computer records of my flight experience in the past has essentially been wasted because the data was entered into records whose format is incompatible with later (presently supported) logbook software. Never again. Fortunately, my old-school paper logbook records have been maintained and backed up by scanning them into computer files in case I ever need to re-construct them.

With that said, there are several very capable computer logbook programs/apps/software available these days that can accommodate user-specified custom fields in addition to an already comprehensive array of flight time categories. At any time, reports can be generated according to user-specified search parameters. You can easily find all the flight time logged in a particular type, flight condition or rules as long as these parameters were specified and filled when entered. And you can go back and edit the original record if it wasn't. The latest trend is for certain flight planning/filing service providers to incorporate pilot flight time logging into it's ever-growing list of services and features.

Use whatever services, apps or software seems most appropriate to fit your needs, but I recommend two things:
1) Always keep your paper logbook up to date, including all endorsements. Store backup images of all pages both offline and online.
2) Make sure the software version of your logbook uses a file format that will be retrievable by future software in case the company who sold you the logbook program dries up and blows away in the winds of change!