PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catering Tales
Thread: Catering Tales
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 17:51
Cornish Jack

Received 149 Likes on 93 Posts
Back in the 50s, the days of Transport Command, 'lunch boxes' were the order of the day. 'Authority' decided that these were to be discontinued in favour of 'dry rations' i.e. tins of comestibles and loaves of bread etc. Unfortunately, as is the way with 'Authority', this change was introduced without briefing the crews. Thus it was that pre-flighting our Valetta for the Riyan, Salalah, Sharjah, with a load of hungry 'pongos', I found a HUGE tin of ham, half a dozen loaves of weevil ridden bread, several tins of Heinz mixed salad 'goop' and NO tin opener, NO knives of any sort and, of course no plates or cutlery. As Siggy/Pilot Assistant/ dogsbody etc. it fell to me to sort this lot out. Pongos have bayonets, so bread knife sorted. bayonets can stab tins, so tin opener sorted. Result was 'doorsteps' of enormous and irregular construction which were gratefully received by our pax but equally gratefully declined by Skipper and Nav and self! An aircraft which has catering facilties limited to a Type 52 resistance which could heat a can of soup in 45 minutes is not best suited to 'dry rations'!
Later, on the sumptuously appointed Beverley, (ONE water boiler!) our 'AQMs' (some, at least) could manufacture remarkable meals. One such was served , in the freight bay, seated at table, courtesy of a load of furniture being returned to UK. "Just popping downstairs for lunch" the call of gentlemen aviators!