PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Competent Are Airport Screeners ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2003, 16:50
Coconuts

Thumbs up

Good post Russellackland

I for one contrary to many posters here welcome the extra security, I take quite a different view from many of the posters here & am also very careful what I pack into my luggage to avoid hassle.

I've just returned from the USA. Mind you when I first arrived at a USA airport for a stopover I was a bit alarmed when I was told to unlock my bag & leave it with the airline, I had visions of some nifty fingered baggage handler rifling through my things but I was reassured by the airline they would seal my case for me. My case was searched in my absentia, & resealed with a card inside notifying me that my case had been searched both for my security & that of my fellow pax. I had no problem with this.

What did annoy me on my trip home when I checked in two case confident that both cases would have a security seal put on them. Instead because only one case was searched only one was resealed leaving me open to theft etc. I contacted the TSA regading this & got a very nice apology in return. It's important to remember that while the airlines feel vulnerable so do pax.

The only other small gripe I would have is I was forced to remove my shoes twice although this is not necessary anymore unless there prone to set off an alarm. Are the security screeners not kept up to scratch with changes in procedure because although I knew it wasn't necesary to still remove my shoes I didn't feel it was a prudent move not to comply or question their authority from what I've read about what happens to people who do.

Good luck to you all & long may you continue to be successful in the front line battle against airline terrorism.