PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student Pilot Charged with Attempting to Steal A321
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 18:43
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An update on the incident:

WFTV speaks with worker who stopped student during security breach at Melbourne airport

By: Kelly Healey , Steve Barrett

Updated: Sep 21, 2018 - 6:15 PM

MELBOURNE, Fla. - Channel 9 spoke with the airport maintenance worker Friday who stopped a man as he boarded an American Airlines jet that was undergoing maintenance.

"I knew right away -- I mean we're trained," said airport maintenance worker Shayne Graves. "No badge. Looked down -- no shoe on that foot. This isn't right. Nothing's right about this kid."

Melbourne airport officials said that Trinidad and Tobago native Nishal Sankat breached airport security around 1:30 a.m.

Authorities said Sankat tried to steal the airplane.

Graves confronted Sankat while he was on the plane. Graves said he didn't hesitate to act because he thought about the 9/11 attacks.

"I said this isn't going to happen again," Graves said, sobbing.

He was looking around, and I said, 'You’re coming with me. You're coming off this airplane.' I put him on the ground at the entrance door, got him on that golf cart, and we went into the hangar," Graves said.

"I really think he's a guinea pig, testing airport security. I really do," Graves said.

The Joint Terrorism Task Force, which includes the FBI, is now investigating, but Sankat already faces state charges of violation of a visa, criminal trespassing and criminal theft of an aircraft.

Officials said Sankat is being cooperative. He is being held at the Brevard County Jail.

Graves said the suspect appeared to be on drugs.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/wftv...port/838753579
Nishal Kiran Sankat, 22, was charged Friday with three counts related to the alleged attempted theft of the plane: one count of unarmed burglary of an occupied conveyance, one count of trespassing in an occupied structure or conveyance, and one count of grand theft worth $100,000 or more. The burglary and theft charges are both felonies.

Authorities said Sankat left his car running outside the airport and he climbed the fence surrounding the facility before boarding the empty Airbus A321.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/airport-wo...opstories.html