PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2018, 11:55
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the sentiment expressed in recent posts that at last there is a Master Plan that is possibly achievable in most respects. I am however curious to see some more detail on what is going to be proposed for parking stands, especially the speculative mention of two additional.

Indication of a need for 13 stands would appear to include the loss of one in the cul-de-sac to accomodate 4 A320/B738 stands. What is going to happen to the rest?

As I previously mentioned nothing significant can be done to stand 6. The remaining stands 7-12 are only circa 33 M wide so no good for A320/B738, plus they are not long enough to accomodate a A320/B738, quite apart from the tailfin height issue caused by nose-in parking that I previously speculated that CAA would not accept.

It would appear that the most economic option would be to demolish the Cargo Building and divert the car park access road to remove the bend. That would appear to release enough land provide two more A320/B738 stands, albeit with the logistical problems of bussing PAX. However this is a considerable improvement over the fantastical intent of the previous Master Plan to build a second Terminal in the northeast corner of the airport.

Last edited by TCAS FAN; 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:57. Reason: spelling correction