PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 17:47
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too feel compelled to express my surprise (putting it lightly) of the judges comments and the empathy shown towards the perpetrator. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever to risk someones life. Had this been some boy racer on a public road there would have been an outcry. The fact is, you may or may not like the drop off charge but it is Manchester Airport's prerogative to impose it. If you don't like it then you can express that through a complaint or by using an airport that doesn't have a drop off fee. The Marshaller has a job to do and in no way, shape or form should he have to come to work fearing that he may be assaulted, injured or even killed...... the latter could have been a distinct outcome. To condone that behaviour is a sad inditement on todays society.

Neither should that Marshaller face such repercussions because of the wider issues that the airport suffers from. And yes, there are fundamental issues affecting the airport, there are no arguments from me. I am certainly no apologist but I am a stickler for balance and I have used MAN countless times and had nothing but a indifferent to good experience. I've had one terrible experience with security staff that clearly embarrassed her colleagues in T3 but other than that my experiences with security personnel has been fine. Sure, you have some shouting (may appear as barking) of instructions by they have to get the message across to many people. You get that in the US to a far worse extent in my opinion.

MAN does however have a significant problem at various times of the day in processing passengers and we have seen some intolerable experiences, particularly at first wave!

The T1 gate experiences are horrible but the departure lounge is reasonably nice and for many of the clientele (bucket and spaders) they really like the retail experience, it's part of the holiday experience.

MAN's PR team could be a little more contrite rather than just blaming other factors. Explain the factors by all means but apologise more for it. But, at the same time...... when there are failings at, for example, Swissport they should highlight where the failure lies. That is only right.

Personal opinion on drop off fee, there is a free option. If you don't want to use it then pay £3. Many of MAN users don't use the airport on a regular basis. Just pay it rather than standing on traffic islands. It's 3 quid......however much you dislike it.
Fact is, we all fly much cheaper than we used to (and more often as a consequence) and something has to give. Anecdotally, you come across people who feel they have been robbed by paying £150 return to Alicante! It costs me £5.50 off peak to travel 7 miles into Central Manchester!

I most certainly don't want to appear an apologist of the airport, there are certainly problems but I do think some do in fact lay it on thick when there are indeed countless journeys that are nothing but passable to good. Like I say...... i'm a stickler for balance.

But again, regardless of the problems the airport has, no one has the right to risk the life of others! If the consensus is that they do.....i think i might just give up now.