PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The NAS, facts and fantasies
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2003, 12:17
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirNoServices

Don't oversimplify and overinclude. There are plenty of PPLs (and even AOPA members!!) who fly themselves for business/work, fly IFR and are interested in surviving! I for one have to fly at least weekly single pilot IFR any weather except thunderstorms (no radar) and clouds/icing levels below LSALT(no deice) , with a PPL/CIR - because I have to be there for work and pay the rent etc. etc.....Hell, I even make sure I shoot that ILS every 35 days or less!

My experience is that most lighties are quite happy to hold or throw in a few litres of fuel for an orbit to help the scheduled guys (or stay out of the wake turbulence).... the fact that you say otherwise just seems to show you don't have actual experience flying around the traps. Furthermore, my experience is that most (but not all) of the regional jockeys are fine to deal with and don't deliberately taxi out and back track when a lightie's on final just because they can.

Before you point the finger re: what questions are being answered by whom, please note there have been NO facts presented on the issue, comparing between the demonstrated (not theoretical) safety records of similar airspace (i.e. traffic density, ATC/Flightservice levels, radar etc.) in Australia & the US. No side (including NASIG, CASA, ATSB, AOPA, AFAP, AIPA and other letters of the alphabet) has presented any data or facts that DIRECTLY address this issue. All we have is folks skirting around the issues, personal attacks on various aviation groups and a flush of nostalgic reminiscences!

As I have pointed out before, this debate goes nowhere unless the facts are presented.

........and (directed at all sides) cut out the infantile PPLvs CPL vs ATPL crap - it ill becomes us.

<Rant off>

mmm, looks like a nice day outside for flying, might cancel that IFR plan.

Safe flying

NOtimTAMs