PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 12:33
[email protected]

Received 632 Likes on 274 Posts
Now tell me...have you ever made a mistake with the wx?
yes, plenty of times and that is how I can tell the difference between a genuine poor piece of judgement - ie a mistake - and just being unlucky through circumstances.

DB - I agree that the best way to learn is from other's mistakes and yours is a tale worth repeating but the circumstances were very different and you are trying to impose your 'lessons learned' onto a situation that isn't really comparable - you had a choice to get airborne with the casualty and made the 'poor decision'. The video crew had little choice about their actions once caught out by the weather and made the safest decision.

You can keep stating that because they got caught out by the weather they must therefore have made a mistake somewhere as much as you like but it just doesn't follow.

I cant understand that if you yourself cannot see mistakes for what they are, how could you have trained me to make better aviation judgements. This does not make sense.
Having made both mistakes and poor decisions regarding weather and mission focus I can use my experience to educate pilots to recognise the point when to stop - all part of being a SAR training officer and mentoring junior SAR pilots

Arketip -
Plenty of drunk drivers make it home without a scratch, is that proof that drunk driving does not cause accidents?
completely agreed, but DB is trying to show that the proximity of the helicopter was a direct threat to the safety to the car - and, since the cars didn't crash, that can't be true either.