PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:53
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
With the greatest of respect to all the enthusiasm shown here with the latest press announcements from SOU,

however to slightly put the brakes on all the budding airline CEO's, in regard to the newly announced nominal runway extension plan for SOU as mentioned in the interview, it will be enough he said, to enable ''existing aircraft types'' to lift payloads and fuel (thereby to minimise WAT restrictions/limitations) to destinations existing, and to those further afield.
(IE: the heavily restricted SOU-JSI on an EMB jet would be able to lift more pax, and not likely be faced with a possible tech stop at Brussels)

Those current jet types include A319/A320 and EMB family of jets.
derated engine marks of the A319's and the EMB's will benefit from this, plus the A320 will likely be able to lift a less restricted pax load to perhaps the Greek Islands, or Canaries without a tech stop (or having to plan for one)
all making the economics attractive to operators.

I know there have been one-offs and a few series of charters with 738's, but
I do not think that the 737-800NG or the 737MAX will likely see Ops from SOU as the runway will still be too short to make profitable and economic use.
My friends flying these aircraft for DY and Jet2 have said that SOU is far too restrictive, and is not suited to their type of operations.
GIB springs to mind where these 737's do not go.

As for FR - I see they are venturing soon into SEN with the 737, so we will watch with interest on their operations from there.