PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:19
[email protected]

Received 631 Likes on 273 Posts
Gray - I am quite clear what happened to the crew in the video - for reasons I can't go into on this forum. You were the one who was hypothesising about the road wetness and declared that the cloud couldn't possibly have come down quickly, I have tried to indicate that it does exactly that on a regular basis. Try another straw.....

My dear DB - lovely as your story is, it bears no relevance to a low-level transit since all your HEMS work would have been conducted in day VMC conditions at as high (within reason) a height as possible. If you haven't operated at low level in the terrain then your experience can hardly be valid. Remember their flight was a planned low-level transit which gives you a very different view of the approaching weather than being at 1000' - ie much more difficult to anticipate.

Onto your distraction theme - more drivers are distracted by other vehicles and accidents on a daily basis than by hover taxying helicopters - witness the ruber-necking that happens on motorways following an accident in one direction that leads to queues and further accidents in the other. You are making up and inflating risk where it doesn't exist or is so minimal.

The proof is that the car in the video didn't drive into the scenery or another car and there were no accidents on that road for the time the aircraft was there - ergo zero to very minimal distraction.

I have long since feeling the need to defend the crew since they didn't do anything wrong.

There, that was nice