PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF / RN Chinagraph Pencils (Cold War era) for Kneeboards
Old 21st Sep 2018, 10:10
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Torches were something that were very slow to evolve and most were commercial. Groundcrew ones were usually waterproof and vapour proof. A common aircrew one was green with either a clear lens or red filter, took 2 U2 (nose D type), and had the light at right angles to the shaft. Worked well, fitted in a nav bag slot but were bulky.

Then an aircrew torch was designed by a committee. It was about 8 inches long, long enough to snap if you sat on it. It was black, the case had ribs for grip. The on/off switch was a push button in the base which had a black securing ribbon and would unscrew to fit 2 AA batteries. The lens was also at right angles, had an integral red filter and cast a subdued rectangular beam several inches. Its most endearing feature was battery life. You were lucky to get more than 5 hours life from the batteries - SWITCHED OFF.

It came into service in the 70s and was replaced in the late 90s I think. I don't think its replacement was a personal issue.

I never had a flying suit with a suitable torch pocket though I had one made up by Flying Clothing.
ribbp