PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 09:29
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
My Dear Crab, as much as I like your expanded meteorological lesson I would offer some colour. I estimate I have completed around 50 HEMs transfers through, over and around the Lake District taking patients to Whitehaven hospital. I admit, I did not pay as much attention to my met lesson, however, I never managed to get myself in a situation that theses lads found themselves in. We all know hill fog is a b*stard. However, the area forecasts in the UK are very good at predicting this. Knowledge and experience hand in hand and the final backstop being our Mark 1 eyeball looking out the windows. In the end, when the situation deteriorates and we press on, images such as we see in the video are the result.

In regards to the risks to the public! There is surely not a Rotorhead alive that believes flying in this manner does not present risk to the road users. Mainly through distraction and fascination that a helicopters appears suddenly and so close. The RoA are written to try and avoid just such encounters. There are extensive procedures for HEMS and PLOD Helicopters operating near and above carriageways.

To illustrate this, quite a long time ago I was RTB from a police task at night when we were retasked to Skyshout a gentleman on a motorway, leaning on the boot (hood for SAS), of his car while his engine was merrily burning. He had been monitored on the motorway camera system. En-route I briefed the Police that we need to be very careful not to distract other road users and how we could complete the task as safe as possible. We elected to follow our rules and establish at 700 feet and the Skyshout worked a treat. However, less than 30 seconds after that two jam sandwiches arrived and placed a standard cordon of cones for protection and a handover ensued between my crew and the ground Officers. I watched as one of the officers returned to his vehicle tucked in at the "Live" end of the cordon.

In a heartbeat a HGV approaching in the nearside lane, continued as if nothing was in his way. He slammed into the police vehicle containing the officer, causing the fuel tank to explode and the whole ensemble veered into the central reservation. A terrible Police Fatal and awful to watch unfold beneath us.

The terrible months following this accident waiting for the outcome of the court case and in particular, what the HGV Driver (who survived) would say had caused his distraction. Thankfully for us he did not cite the helicopter. However, it highlights just how easily these events can turn bad and when the helicopter we are in is involved, how the switch from adding value to any event, to being the centre stage can occur.

I also recall being told of an incident in AAC where something similar happened and in that case, the driver was distracted by the helicopter.

These risks are real and they have to be managed. RoA, weather minima and sound airmanship all play their part in this. However, in the end it comes down to what we as individuals are prepared to accept when the scenario stops fitting into the template we are used to.

Hundreds of Rotorheads have met an untimely end, some vastly experienced, during events like the topic of this thread.

Like I said previously Crab, I admire your stoic support for the crew and hopefully they deserve it.

What should we think when events like this occur. Its not moral outrage. That I reserved solely for the posters who thought such flying was acceptable and, in some cases, authorised by the Supervision. As a community, culture is the hardest thing to change. I want a culture of compliance. That is the first step to being safe.

Now Crabby, try to be nice!

DB