PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - State of the Industry
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2018, 09:28
Ed Winchester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn’t from their results, it was a market update. Here’s what he said when asked directly about the crew change business:

“Second, one was the crew change business. Sorry, yes. Yes. I mean, I think it’s quite early days. I mean, we signaled -- we clearly signaled at the year-end when we put the focus -- when we cleared this up and put our focus in defense, emergency services, and nuclear. The crew change, the offshore oil and gas business was not seen by us as a kind of a critical part of the business. So, again, that, I guess, kicked off an exercise that says, well, what happen to that business? Do we -- how do we operate it? It’s a reasonable-sized business. It’s still profitable. And I think all the segment here is we’re going to look at what we can do with it in terms of making it the best we possibly can, whilst of course, still maintaining top priority and safety and meeting our customers’ kind of needs. But, we do feel that the business is -- the oil and gas business overall in our sector has stabilized, although somewhat still not great. But, I think we want -- we --- the business will be there. Questions of what we do with it in the long term. Again, the exercises we’ll do in the moment may lead us toward some kind of conclusions here. Then the first instance is all about us taking actions around about making sure that we’re making the best of that business that we possibly can at the moment.”

So something was said about the onshore EMS business - it falls within one of Babcock’s main focus areas - emergency services.

Ah well, at least crew change is profitable. I wonder if the same can be said of some of its competitors....