PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 21:10
[email protected]

Received 631 Likes on 273 Posts
You said it yourself...it could have rained recently...there goes your sudden weather phenemona theory.
So, back to met theory.....suppose it rained there recently, the road is wet and the cloud eases as it has lost moisture and begins to dry out - the local cloudbase rises, perhaps with a bit of wind assistance.

Then the water on the road and surrounding countryside starts to evaporate, taking the air in the pass closer to its dewpoint again.

Then a small variation in the wind brings some slightly colder air down the hillside which mixes with the almost saturated air in the pass - what could be the result? Oh yes, the sudden formation of some hill fog in the pass.

This scenario isn't imagination or fanciful pondering - it is the real sequence of events seen regularly in hilly or mountainous terrain where a moist airflow persists - cloud forms, clears and reforms with or without rainfall - ask any walkers who visit the Lake District or Snowdonia and they will recognise how quickly the weather can change in the UK.

Your tone and language tell me the last thing you are having is fun btw.

I am not trying to force people to see my point of view - I have simply tried to explain what happened, as I understand it, on the flight in question - the only blinkered views are from those who can't rid the initial viewing of the video from their minds and understand what the video shows is not a true, contextually correct sequence of events.

You don't want to listen to the facts? Fine, no skin off my nose - the event has been consigned to the dustbin with other non-events in military flying and all the feigned or imagined outrage will not change that.

Good luck with picking away at my arrogance, according to you I have an unlimited supply