PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EO Go-Around at Max TOW
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 12:37
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Apologies if I appear to be on a black hat check witch hunt here. My concern is that a great many folk try to oversimplify that which is not amenable to such.

Two points of note -

(a) this stuff is not suitable for line crews to wing on the fly with simplistic notions .. better than nothing, certainly, but not satisfactory at all. If it is to have much show of working, it must be done in the back room ahead of time and preferably by the ops engineering folk with good OEM data and a sound engineering understanding of flight dynamics. Unfortunately, it's a rubbery area which many of us have had concerns about for decades .. can't see anything changing too soon, though.

(b) as FlightDetent infers .. the certification and operational rules cover us so far ... only ... if you get too far out of left field, it might just not be your day. There are no guarantees .. only probabilities. We do our best to load the dice our way but .. if we get too far out of line .. it just might not work out to our advantage.

What really concerns me is that folk don't appear to be hammering on the Flight Operations Manager's door to get good, sound, ops engineering work done on all non-trivial runways ... sure, it costs ... but try the cost of a CFIT with a full load of passengers.