PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 11:21
342 driver

Location: Beverly Hills, CA USA Cannes FR, Manly Bch- Shute Harbour AZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been a more than an occasional occurrence during my career, and before GPS it was more crazy with the Risk/Benefit being below 50%
But as I wrote above, the technology is wonderful now. I think between synthetic vision and Infrared cameras plus the radar altimeter and cautions piloting in familiar territory for HEMS or a Hospital organ transplant run, when lives are at stake, it should be at the pilot's discretion and outlined in the TEM. And in the Medivac and HEMS world, it's reasonably if the risk benefit is not too high its part of the job....
JUST DO IT CHARLIE. Otherwise give carnival rides and fly for the news or toff pax for Formula One.
Maybe it's just my sense of duty, but when I'm HEMS those cautious, measured risks are not only part of our jobs, but should be outlined in the TEM. I've flown more than a bit in the Lake District and the weather is like a crap table. I've spent more than one afternoon parked in a pasture up there watching the cows and sheep while the weather cleared... and more than a few pub park lots. too. But I also lost a mate up there too... Way too dangerous for even the best pilot. Mark Weir's fatal up in Cumbria and the Holister Slate mine in 2011 is a good example. Beautiful Gazelle FULL IFR and flying late at night and suddenly there was an obstacle where it wasn't supposed to be.
But I love the technology and would not fly up there these days without it. FULL PANEL. Infrared camera, synthetic vision, Terrain Awareness Display, IFR and autohover... the works.
Love those toys.