PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 09:23
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Well I was close, just the odd 4000 miles out, plus or minus

RAF Architecture is a subject in its own right, whether domestic or overseas. It would be interesting if Drigh Road was unique, or of a regional style, or even of a standard style. As I previously posted, it is reminiscent of Maltese RAF buildings of that era. Here for example, trolled from Google, copyright R E Flagg, is one at RAF Halfar :-

OK, even I can see the style is rather different but is it possible that a local style was applied to otherwise standard layouts? If these worldwide RAF Stations were built at UK taxpayers expense then one can assume they were standardised for cost effectiveness purposes alone. Of course if they were paid for by others (the Indian Government as was, for example?) then that would not necessarily apply. The period of construction would have a great effect of course. Early UK RAF stations are of a different style to the ones of the 30s expansion period for example. When Halfar, or for that matter Drigh Road were laid down, and/or expanded, would be interesting in that regard.

The point of your picture being that Polish pilots served at PAF Faisal post war and your picture shows their accommodation there, I assume Franek?