PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newbie Jitters
Thread: Newbie Jitters
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2018, 04:26
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
Steve,

As I was preparing to reply, I've just noticed that I started my flying career the year you were born! I still enjoy flying, I still have a Class 1 medical and I still have the same number of takeoffs and landings in my logbook. Most of my flying these days is towing gliders and here in Alberta, that means no flying while there is snow on the ground, which can be anything from three to five months.

Consequently, each pilot in the club has to go though a "Spring Checkout" ritual. I must confess that I always have a slight case of the jitters before this flight, particularly when I know that my check pilot is going to pull the throttle on me at some awkward moment!

It is perfectly normal to feel jittery, particularly when you are just starting.

Try to follow Pilot_DAR's very good advice. Modern aeroplanes fly themselves quite well, when properly trimmed.

PS Since you are flying both power and gliders, let me give you a tip. In a powered aircraft, with a slip-ball, you use the appropriate foot to "push" the ball back into the middle. You can translate that metaphor to gliders, by looking at the front (fixed part) of the yaw string and treating that as if it was the ball.