PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two 747 questions...
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 11:50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atpcliff
... According to another DE, the reps from the company said the mid-range breaking is better, but they didn't definitively tell us which is better: AB2, 3 or 4...
I am going to make a side comment on just this piece.

Having a few years of "office work" in another life, few things in aviation get my hackles up like "the rep from company X said....". These manufacturer rep positions are very, very low on the company food chain. Often entry level positions. Their job is to connect the airline's people with the manufacturer's people who can actually help. Their random opinion is often of little value, and having a bunch of instructors going out for beers with the wrong one of these guys can do a program a lot of damage.

My rule was that I would only act on what was in writing, on my desk. And virtually none of "the rep said....." ever made that transition.

The same thing with cold calling the manufacturer. The engineer who has the job of taking random calls from instructors and check airmen is going to be just above intern (management further up the airline food chain is a different matter).

In writing with accountability. Otherwise it is rumor, and often bad rumor.

Rant over.