PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - String tying of cable looms?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 11:21
wrench1

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Always wondered, during my walk-arounds, why electrical cables in aircraft looms are tied with knotted waxed string rather than using plastic ty-wraps. (aka Zip ties)

It's technically called lacing. It's been around since day one and crossed over from the original telephone days which used lacing to tie phone line runs. It's the same lacing used on fabric aircraft to lace the fabric at the ribs. It's also the preferred method on several levels: FAA guidance, durability, strength, weight, etc.

Originally Posted by Uplinker
I ask because the waxed string would seem to be much more labour intensive and time consuming to apply than ty-wraps.
Keep in mind most original wire harnesses or for major electrical/avionics upgrades are built on a board and not in the aircraft. So it's not as labor intensive as it seems. Tywraps have their place but have specific environmental requirements like engine compartments. Plus in my experience they never last as long as lacing or can cause other issues like chafing, or slicing my f'n knuckles open because someone was too lazy to trim the plastic end flush with the lock.

W1