PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 07:53
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Franek, I responded to your post but my work was eaten by the PPRuNe dog, so I'll try again! What you say about those who didn't experience occupation not being able to understand those who did, particularly those who couldn't return even after the 'liberation' of their homeland, has to be true but at least we can try! A sense of empathy is perhaps easier when one lives and works alongside such people. That was the case in the post-war RAF of course. The national squadrons and units were disbanded and those who chose 'remain' were integrated into the RAF proper. In that way they ceased to be separate and different but fellow colleagues, albeit with accents varying from better than My Fair Lady standard to almost incomprehensible.

As to the picture it is nowhere that I recognise but the structure and the style is reminiscent of some buildings in Malta. Could it be at Luqa or Hal Far? As to its purpose I can only guess. Was it a squadron HQ or an Officers Mess? The only one I stayed in was the Luqa Transit Mess, which it certainly isn't!

Is the sign above the entrance a clue? Is it a Maltese Falcon?

Sorry!