PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cumbria - Dauphin in the fog...
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2018, 07:11
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think we are now mostly on the same page thanks mainly to the concise summaries by Hi-hover.

1. What we see in the video is, most probably, a cab below its authorised minima, with a crew electing to continue to fly to recover, probably, back to their minima.

2. Training in and for such conditions is nonsense. Cannot be authorised and crazy to suggest they were deliberately training like this.

3. A’s Hi-hover states, BAOR flying orders recommended us all to be below 150 feet, or above 1500 feet, essentially to remain out of the fast Jet Band. The weather minima for VFR flight in 318 I cannot recall. But definitely could not train, fly or fight below that minima.

4. Having “Special” or “SAR” or “HEMS” appended to your operational status provides no immunity from the solidity of Mother Earth. Extra training and formal regulatory risk assessments may provide lower operating limits. But they are limits.

5. There is no excuse ever, for putting your aircraft and crew at risk by flying below your limits. If you end up in such a situation your command decision making is flawed. I have been there also.

So in summary the crew made a serious mistake that ended up putting the aircraft close to persons and property on the ground, below their authorised minima.

This is debate really started with me objecting to the glorification and justification if such flying as “Essential” because of who we assume the occupants are. Crab you supported such a position from the outset. Now, you have finally come to accept the crew made a mistake.