PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-800 aquaplaning at Christchurch New Zealand. Excellent report
Old 19th Sep 2018, 02:47
mustangsally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way back in the late 70's operated a Sabre Liner, no anti skid brake and very narrow wheels, right off an F-86. The check out included a simulated wet runway. The idea was to basically plant aircraft on as close to the end of the runway with a rather firm plant, then cut of one motor (no reverse on these old ladies) and apply brakes. If a skid developed, release the brakes and reapply. As I learned after more than several hundred hours, a plant on a rain covered runway was actually much closer to soft and it worked. If you spent enough time on this aircraft you would skin a tire. I moved on before that happened to me. So, when landing on a wet runway, a plant it good, the payers in the back will think it was a greaser. End result of the plant is less moisture between the rubber and the concrete. The same idea apply for landing on icy or snow packed covered runways. Easier to say sorry for the firm touch down than start a discussion with the Chief Pilot or Safety Board.