PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737-800 aquaplaning at Christchurch New Zealand. Excellent report
Old 18th Sep 2018, 23:31
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way back when, before introduction of anti-skid protection, aquaplaning (I seem to remember it was more commonly called hydroplaning at least here in US) was not uncommon. In severe cases the tire rubber would melt and it was explained that the braked wheel raon atop superheated steam which literally melted the tire rubber. Antiskid systems and Maxerets mostly stopped that extreme result except when there were maintenance faults such as crossed brake lines (or wiring) on a bogie type gear.
Runway braking reports are problematical. Back in late 1970's when Maintenance Manager for EAL at KEWR, I would get weekend duty. On snowy days the Port Authority would come and pick me up at my office and take me out for a trip down the active runway or runways. I was supposed to rate the braking action from the non-driver seat of a speeding Police car. Being a conservative fellow my fair/poor braking condition ratings sometimes made the Airport Operator unhappy. I hope they have come up with better ways of rating than in those now pre-historic times.