PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SSEA SLMG Microlight differences NPPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 16:50
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by rkgpilot
I’m confused - Grob 109 series aircraft and Dimonas/Super Dimonas have varying max weights, up to 930kg that I know of. Are they technically in a different classification from that described above?

I’m in process of training on a Grob 109b so as to add TMG to my EASA PPL and SLMG to my U.K. PPL - I’d like to understand the significance of all this. If I subsequently apply for NPPL with SSEA and SLMG ( which is what the original question was about) would I not be able to fly one of these particular aircraft on that licence because they are over 750kg?
I was on the team that certified the Vigilant T1 for the RAF Air Cadets, and we certified it above 850kg by using military rather than civil regulations. That may be the G109 you're thinking of which we approved at 908kg.

Super Dimonas are good up to 770kg I think, so within the 850kg.

It's always possible to go above 850kg, but you'll need to take the aeroplane into part 23.

And, at risk of sounding like a stuck record DO NOT CONFUSE AIRWORTHINESS WITH PILOT LICENCING REGULATIONS - THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

G