PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orderly Dog
Thread: Orderly Dog
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 14:17
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
A long time ago, at a large transport base somewhere in Wiltshire, I was catching up on a backlog of station duties that I had fallen behind with due to my fulfilling various downroute commitments. These backlog duties included a couple of Orderly Sergeant slots, one a weekday and one a weekend, a spot of gate guardianship, plus another weekday Ord/Sgt that I was detailed for, at short notice, due to one of my colleagues becoming a temporary 'fixture' somewhere in the Caribbean.
After completing a couple of these duties I noticed that the SDO whose name appeared on the duty board was the same person as that on my previous duty. I was absolutely amazed to find this 'coincidence' reoccurred on my next duty, some two weeks later.
After dismissing the duties and defaulters from the 6 o'clock call, I struck up a conversation with the Orderly Officer who I knew from a previous posting. On mentioning the 'coincidences' regarding the SDO's name, the OO cracked a smile and told me, in confidence (of course!), that the SDO had transgressed the boundaries of behaviour expected of an 'Officer and Gentleman' at a Mess function. Apparently, his behaviour following an OM Summer Ball involved him making an entrance in a public area on a bicycle, totally 'sans kit', and with a monocle dangling from his manhood. Normally, this event may have passed with some jocularity, or perhaps ribald derision from his, by now, unthirsty fellow officers: however, there just happened to be some ladies present, including the wife of a senior officer. The aftermath was that the name of the naked cyclist (sorry, SDO!) remained on the duty board for one month. There may be those Ppruners who remember the occasion (in the 70s) and could give any further insight.