PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Catering Tales
Thread: Catering Tales
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 09:05
TLDNMCL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Pax on a Tristar!

A very long time ago, I was ear-marked to be the next Dulles Red-Eye groundcrew member on the regular VC10 "Diplomatic" trips. We were carrying a coupleu of fuel computers / regulators for a Tristar which had gone sick in Anchorage. The idea was that we would drop in at Goose, the Tri would transit Canada on two engines, we would hand over the spares and be on our way.
On arrival, an apparent Eskimo wearing RAF Sgt. stripes boarded, "Got a TLDNMCL on board?" "Yep, that's me."
"Read this" (Hands me a signal print-out).
In short, the weather was so buggered across Alaska, that the Tri couldn't leave to make the trip to meet us. I would have to courier the spares via Dulles, then civvy flights to Salt Lake City, ditto to Anchorage pending weather improvements, (The 10 was scheduled for other tasking, had to continue the planned Red-Eye) hence plan B.
Got there, handed over spares and off to the hotel. When I awoke, I realised I had not received any re-joining instructions! Call back to Brize "Cadge a lift back with 216 when their aircraft is fixed."
Aeroplane fixed, flight crew plus one very bored steward on the leg back from Alaska - UK; oh and one passenger. Couple that with an over- catered aeroplane, no in flight entertainment, and a steward with sod all to do. I think the flight crew did rather well out of it too...