PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 22:07
Franek Grabowski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chugalug
I would say that the problem is with lack of knowledge. People, who spend their lives in normal countries and make decisions by their choice do not realise, what it is like to loose your home country, being not able to return, to live with fear about relatives, having no information from them. They also cannot realise what communism is, and where it leads. Of course, politicians are to blame, I recall some descriptions of reaction of RAF airmen on hearing on Yalta.
That said, we have in both countries lots of forgotten and unknown heroes, that is without doubt. Nonetheless I think that the Polish experience and tragedy caused people to act and live in most unusual circumstances, making their lives most fascinating. For an average British hero there was a relatively short period of fight and glory, and then he could settle down, and sip ayle in a pub, remembering the past. For several Poles, there was no such end, but continuous fight.
If you have not read it yet, you can have a look on my book on Skalski. I hope it shall be interesting for you.
And if we divert to some nostalgia, how about that? Anyone recognises the place?