PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 19:46
Slow Biker

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Whilst clearing out some 'stuff'' I came across a document given to me by a friend of a friend; it is an informal record of the flights of Mosquito DZ589 serving on 105 Sqn between July '43 and January '44. It details date, crew, 'duty' and time up, time down and brief details of the mission. There are some interesting points: Flt Lt Muirhead DFM, awarded I imagine before commission; WO Gordon DFC, not DFM. The targets are self explanatory: bomb dump at map ref, Emden, Duisburg etc. I have no idea who drew up the list but there is a hand written note: Please give this to Cliff. It's 'his' mozzie's record. An interesting piece of history that illustrates a very small part of those days.

On another note, the picture of the Tannoy speaker reminded me of the time we passed through Habbaniya after GW1. We were taken to what appeared to be the OM, it was just like the 60s RAF. Eau de nil paint, Crittall window frames and steel conduit to the old metal light switches. A few shabby sofas completed the scene. I doubt if the place had been touched since the RAF left. My uncle served there in the '30s, I'm sure he would recognize the place.