PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Baltic information
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 15:40
WMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Direct Entry Command on the Q400 in Air Baltic is not the life of glamour and riches you expected?? Well I have some even more sad news for you, it’s very similar wherever you go. Any Turboprop pilot knows your pain, it’s the main reason no one really wants to fly one, regardless of type. The Turboprop is there to bring the pax from the regions to the main hub, doing multiple short sectors, and overnights.
Currently I fly anywhere between 75-85 hrs a month,( my worst was 92), usually with around 3 or 4 six sector days a month, thankfully at my base there are not so many night stops, but other bases have crew away for up to four nights. Roster is normally 5/2,but 6 on is not uncommon, but I am getting it easy compared to the First Officers, they are working 90 hrs a month since Christmas past, due to the shortage of crew. Now they are even being asked to work days off, and sell their leave back to the company. Before you start shouting that my salary is better, my current take home is about the same as a level three pay scale with Air Baltic, I do get a company pension, annual leave is thirty five days a year that must be used or lost.
So my advice would be forget about commuting, move your family, live in Riga, otherwise you will burn out. I have been there done that, and know from experience. Use the opportunity to gain command time, and think seriously about what you want from Aviation. I know former Q400 Cpts that have moved directly to left seat jet with other companies because of their time on the Q400, even I have been offered left seat A320, all because I did my time on the Q400.