PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 09:29
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know, but watching the last second before impact, I think the pilot pulled quite a bit collective ... at least what was left, because he fell from almost HOGE hight. The sound also shows, that the RPM was decaying quite fast. It might be possible, he didn't have much more power left to use to cushion the landing - err - impact.
That does not mean he did not screw up big time by judging winds and stuff wrong.
I had instructors who were very hot on tail rotor failure, but the whole tailwind thing, when the ends swap direction, I had to learn the hard way - nothing bend, just some cardiac training, loss of body fluid and need of deodorant - or a shower. I can imagine he had the same training.
I never had a tailrotorfailure, but I can only imagine, that the effect is much more sudden, than the wind related version, where you just gradually lose effectiveness. That can happen in a second but, you can feel the tailrotor still responding until you hit the stop and only then, things happen fast. At least that is my experience. May vary between pilots.