PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2018, 01:32
ATomCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by simba090
Yeah I think any testing practise would help, especially the landing and gate tests on the NATS website to get your brain used to sequencing for the DART test.
I'd be fine with Spain, I've been there before and absolutely loved it.
Yeah well I've always wanted to be an ATC, and went through the academy at Airservices Australia back in 2010-2013, then had to quit for personal reasons, and unfortunately I don't think they let you retry more than once. Also the RAAF rejected me due to asthma (ridiculous) so this might be my last shot!
Thanks for the info and all the best!
Do bear in mind that to work for NATS, you need to pass a Class 3 European Medical which does also have certain conditions on asthma: "There should be no significant respiratory disease. A past history of asthma may be acceptable but significant symptoms at time of application are likely to disqualify you".

Originally Posted by simba090
And also, if you can be posted to Spain to do the training, does that mean you can be posted there to control afterwards as well?

The preparation booklet they sent me says this: "Successful candidates will, after successful completion of training which takes place at NATS Training at our corporate and technical centre (CTC) in Whiteley, be posted to join the team of professionals who work for NATS at the various units around the country"
The NATS college training is split into the Basic course and either the Aerodrome/Approach course or the Area course - which pathway you are allocated to depends on business needs and your aptitude (although recent #AskNATS Youtube Q&A videos seems to suggest most people's preferences are taken into account). The latter courses are conducted at the CTC in Whitely, but the Basic course can be taken either at the CTC, Jerez in Spain, or at Global ATS in Gloucestershire. They all form part of NATS training so you will not be posted to Spain after training but to an Area Control Centre or airport within the UK.
If you're interested the reason training is done in Spain particularly (due to a large recruitment campaign and many trainees there's not enough capacity at CTC for everyone) is that NATS is in a joint venture with Spanish service company Ferrovial (called ferroNATS) which currently provides ATC at 11 Spanish airports and has a training facility at Jerez.

Good luck with everything!